Why Use a Climate Controlled Facility?
Temperature control can help to prevent damage when items are stored in a storage facility, especially for those items particularly sensitive to temperature and humidity fluctuations. Items that are especially susceptible to temperature and humidity extremes include:
- Wood, leather and upholstered furniture (sofas, chairs, nightstands, dressers, entertainment centers, dining room sets, etc)
- Photos, albums, books, collections (stamps, coins, collectibles and sentimental items)
- Bedding and mattresses
- Metal appliances
- Personal and business documents
- Sports equipment
- Musical instruments
Damage to these items, when not stored in a climate controlled environment, may include warping, cracking, rotting, mold and mildew, rusting and fabric/leather degradation, which may cause permanent damage to your valuables.
Advantages of Climate Control
Non-climate controlled storage follows the current outdoor temperature and humidity closely and fluctuate accordingly. The interior of these type of units can have temperatures that far exceed the outdoor temperature due to exposure to sun and extreme weather. While basic self storage is sufficient for some things, it’s not the right choice for most household items.
Climate Controlled storage significantly reduces the risks of damage to your goods by using heating and cooling units to keep the temperature more consistent at a level well above freezing and below 80 degrees.
Benefits of climate controlled storage include:
- Protection from extreme temperature fluctuations and the (sometimes permanent) damage that causes
- Protection from outdoor humidity- if there is too much moisture in the air valuables may be damaged and will remain damp, which will promote mold and mildew growth.
- Protection from dust and poor air quality: standard storage units aren’t typically sealed the same way a climate controlled units are. Because the air in a climate controlled storage facility is constantly circulated, it remains clean.
Climate controlled storage usually has a slightly higher cost than traditional storage. The added cost is often insignificant and usually outweighed by the peace of mind you’re given knowing your items are protected from seasonal changes, and the cost of having to replace all of your goods if they are damaged in non-climate controlled storage.
Rehoboth resident Timarie and her husband Blair Thompson are the owners of Delaware Beach Storage Center in Lewes, DE. Delaware Beach Storage Center is a brand new, state of the art climate controlled self-storage facility conveniently located just off Route 1, one mile north of Five Points. For more information on Delaware Beach Storage Center visit visit www.debeachstorage.com.
Trackback from your site.